In the spirit of the last day of 2013, I'm sipping eggnog and contemplating on BI in 2013.
- Microsoft leads the Gartner's 2013 Business Intelligence Magic Quadrant.
- Microsoft leads the Gartner's 2013 Data Warehouse Magic Quadrant.
- Power View connectivity to Multidimensional (DAXMD) released in CU4 of SQL Server 2012 SP1.
- SQL Server 2012 Parallel Data Warehouse appliance released with Hadoop support at very attractive pricing.
- Microsoft is the first vendor to offer natural queries (unfortunately only in the cloud at this point).
- Microsoft not doing enough to compete effectively on the presentation/visualization front against third party vendors. I'll throw poor mobile support into this bucket too.
- Slow pace of BI enhancements across product groups. Example: Excel's still lacking Power View support for Multidimensional (DAXMD was released in May).
- Microsoft pushing cloud BI and deciding to prioritize cloud enhancements, such as natural query, over on premises.
- Microsoft's ongoing preoccupation with Tabular (it's difficult to find a good case for it as it's caught now in the middle between columnstore indexes and Multidimensional) and self-service BI (focus should be 80% on organizational BI and 20% on personal).
- Still no metadata lineage and change impact. What happened to Project Barcelona?
Happy New Year!
Tue, Dec 31 2013 10:35 PM